Friday, February 22, 2013

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

The passage from the book The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao was filled with a lot of character development that provoked a lot of emotion for me as the reader, a cathartic experience I rather look forward to when reading stories. I grew very attached or the two main characters, and even though the narrator shifts from kind hearted to cold, there is still a lot of empathy you feel as you tag along on his journey through college life in such delicate circumstances.

This was my favorite story, mainly because its narrator is a young adult in college just like me, trying to figure out how to be true to himself without causing too much damage to others- though he has issues with that most in in romantic life. The dialoge was especially enjoyable to read because it included slang i was familiar with, making the character more real to me. I also enjoyed the contrast of how Jose (i think that was the main characters name, sorry if its not) would speak compared to his rather nerdy roommate, Oscar. It made great material for comedic relief in such a heavy story. But thats what made me appreciate it so much, the fact that the writer wasn't afraid to go from dark to humorous back to dark again.

No comments:

Post a Comment